Friday, January 15, 2010

In my native land.


I would most like to be in the United States at the time of colonization.

As a Native American woman life would little change. Until the country became established and depending on where I was my tribe may be left alone. If we did interact with the foreigners it may be to our benefit, giving us new materials for defense or pleasure. When we are moved around I will be long gone, but my culture will remain. Our songs will continue to be played and our stories will continue to be told, even if we have to struggle for that right.

Some people would say its better to have been a native in Rwanda because they weren’t moved around, targeted as cheap labor, or invaded by other countries. These are all good things to consider, but there is one crucial difference between Rwanda and the United States. The Native Americans have not been pushed against each other. As we go about our days we are not divided by racism, however we can move from the wounds of our past and enrich our culture for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment